Marcus was called to serve in the Japan Kobe Mission. He entered the MTC on May 19, 2010. He arrived in Japan on August 3,2010.
Elder Horton will be returning home on April 27, 2012!

Monday, August 16, 2010

Well hello hello everyone from the MTC.


6/1/10 Well hello hello everyone from the MTC.

I have 8 minutes before time runs out so lets see what I can tell about. Things are going pretty well here so far. The elders in my district are really cool for the most part and ive become quick friends with many of them. Japanese is hard. But I'm working hard and seeing pretty big improvements each week. It helps that my sensei are all really cool and good at their jobs, which is pretty incredible considering they have no training but serving missions themselves. I'm already super excited to get out into Japan. Its not that I hate it here or anything but I'm getting sick of it a bit. but i still have like 9-10 weeks so I'll endure.

All the Elders and my sensei tell me I'm competitive. I was winning the "which elder gets the least mail and is thus the least loved game" until mom sent me another letter. but im sure ill make a comeback and get back on top. also I destroyed grammar golf. I guess there isn't much to say. not much goes on here. the food is pretty good i guess. better than expected. oh and a bunch of japanese missionaries who don't speak english came this week so thats pretty excited to practice japanese with them. But I'm just about out of time, so that will be all for this week.

love,

Elder Horton

mom, send this to everyone in the family and preston and see if you can get matt to get preston to get aj's email and maybe send it to pedro

6/8 10 ok i have 6 minutes go.

Um its been a pretty normal week. im starting to get the hang of things at get comfortable here which is a good thing because it will make time go by faster. and it cant go buy fast enough. i really want to get to japan already. and ill probly say that every week. ive become really good friends with some of the guys in my district, though some of them still bug me a bit. But we're all doing our best at learning and understanding the sounds that come from the mouth known as japanese. for a week now and for the next two weeks, we've had nihonjin (japanese people) in the mtc. they speak about as much english as we do japanese so communicating is difficult at times but it definitely is educational and good experience. its crazy how quickly i came to love all of them. they're really awesome people. its going to be sad to see them go in two weeks. but yeah theres not much to share about this place. it doesnt really change much. I like my sensei a bunch. one of them in particular, wilkes-sensei is really good. i like his views and his way of teaching. pretty similar to my own. so hopefully i can learn a lot from him before i go to japan. because after having a conversation with the nihonjin, i realize how much i have to learn still.

well im out of time so until next week,

love,

Elder Horton.

From: Marcus Horton
Date: Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM
Subject: MTC week 5

So our sempai and the nihonjin left for japan on monday and its pretty empty around the residence halls and such. at the same time though, its pretty nice because our sempai were pretty loud and annoying a lot of the time. and next wednesday, we'll get kohai of our own and we'll be the sempai. ooh we're going to have fun with them. I'm probably only going to speak japanese to them just to freak them out... plus its good practice. but I suppose things are good here.. its still very normal but i guess thats good... next week is the one week per year that they train all the new mission presidents and all the first presidency and the apostles are going to be here walking around so that should be pretty interesting.. everyone here is going to freak out. Seriously. going to a devotional is like being in the crowd of a show everyone is irrationally trying to push their way through the crowd to get a good seat. it makes a lot of people really angry but i mostly just think its hilarious. the Nihongo is coming along well.. some of the other elders in my district and I are starting days of the week that are nihongo dake, or only japanese. So hopefully we'll start to get a better grasp on the language before the next set of nihonjin get here in 3 weeks.. it would be really awesome to be able to have a normal conversation with them. our sempai definitely couldnt so its basically our goal to be better than they were.. but it really should be all that hard.. also this keyboard types two periods at a time in case you were confused about that.. So yeah things are what they are, and im ever-excited to go to japan and get out of here.. guess ill just practice my patience.... this keyboard also doesnt have a working enter button so, Love, Elder Horton

6 weeks in.. which means that tomorrow we'll be getting our kohai.. pretty exciting.. i guess ill let everyone know how they are next week .. but yeah not much to say and not much time to say it as usual, but i feel like im showing first signs of understanding japanese a little.. which is pretty exciting i must say.. hmm what else.. well we had a friday devotional thing where Elder Oaks talked and a bunch of other apostles were there.. and apparently president monson and the whole first presidency were here on sunday but we didnt get to see them since they were only talking to the mission presidents.. but yeah things are pretty good and boring here.. i did laundry this morning it was aight.. i used this shout! stuff to make my clothes extra clean.. so yeah its been an exciting day.. oh yeah did you send me with shoe shining stuff, mom? me shoes are scuffed.. Love, Elder Horton

yeah things are pretty good around here i suppose. we'll be getting nihonjin elders this week so we're all excited for that. i usually always find myself bored in my spare time. and i used to think dad was a huge nerd for reading the dictionary and he still is. but i find great joy in reading my japanese dictionary and writing down all the awesome words i find. like the word for eating by stealth. or the word for killing someone who is seeking revenge. ill use that one someday for sure. but yeah reading the dictionary would never have been fun if i had a computer. also i already wrote this in my letter to mom, but we have a grammar book we call pikachu and ive pretty much read the whole thing and i want the next version. which is blue. and apparently theres a last version which is supposedly red. but many believe that charizard is only a legend. but yeah we're starting to get excited as we see that the time we'll finally leave this place comes closer. we should be getting our travel plans in a week or so. so i guess its about as good as times get in the mtc. though really this week was about the same as any other. well till next week everyone.

love

elder Horton

yeah so last week at the MTC. im super excited. but this stupid timer is telling me i only have two minutes to write this. but anyways next week or whenever, ill be emailing from japan. so look forward to that. i might actually have something excited to say. other than how bored i am here. reading the dictionary can only hold my attention for so long. though i did fit three books in my shirt pocket and that was pretty exciting. but im out of time. send me anything you need to before i leave through dearelder.

love you all,

elder Horton

No comments:

Post a Comment